Thursday, February 26, 2009

Alumni Publishes Book Story - January 2008

Alumnus publishes dream book as act of self-discovery
By Jasmine Stein

Staff Reporter

Publication Date: 01/25/2008


Barry Morgan recently escaped from an aquatic labor camp with Will Ferrell, a stick of dynamite and a head of lettuce.

At least, he did in his dreams and in his new self-published book, "So You Think Your Dreams Are Weird?!"

Morgan graduated from Purdue in 1997 in the College of Liberal Arts, and after a vivid dream and a difficult period in his life, Morgan decided, "I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna pay attention to my dreams."

Morgan recorded every dream he could remember from May 31, 2006, to May 31, 2007.

"He would set an alarm at 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. every night and record the craziest dreams; I didn't sleep for like, six months," said Jennifer Braje, Morgan's girlfriend.

Morgan said his book is about the waking reality, and working to bring forth the subconscious mind.

"He would wake up and go, 'I had the craziest dream last night'," Braje said. "It made me want to remember my dreams; I think the book will help people pay attention more."

Morgan decided he would give himself 10 years to conquer his dream. He described the months leading up to writing his book as a point in his life where he was experiencing a lot of change.

"I wanted to attain a better understanding of myself and be creative in a period of time when I wasn't," Morgan said.

"Every day, I would log daily highlights and headlines," Morgan said. "The war in Iraq affected some of my dreams. I hope the reader feels engaged."

Morgan said he wants readers to know that his book is more than just a dream journal. According to him, the book will inspire interactive readers to start paying attention to their own dreams and realize where the dreams come from.

Morgan is currently writing a children's novel and plans to apply to graduate school at the University of Maine. He is also interested in creating a database or social network where people can share dreams.

"I've written several screenplays; I know I want to write for a living, maybe make movies," said Morgan. "I just want to be happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment